Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

Self-Help Center

Lake County Superior Court Self-Help Center and Family Law Facilitator's Office


California Online Self-Help Center |  Centro de ayuda en linea

The Lake County Superior Court Self-Help Center and Family Law Facilitator’s office provides free legal help to people who do not have a lawyer. Our office does not give legal advice and cannot act as your attorney. Instead, we provide legal information and assistance with filling out court forms. Our services are always free. Anyone who does not have their own lawyer can use our services, it does not matter how much money you make.

Services Provided

  • Divorce, Legal Separation, Annulment
  • Establish Paternity
  • Modify child custody and visitation orders
  • Modify child and spousal support orders
  • Restraining Orders
  • Guardianships (person only)
  • Evictions/Unlawful Detainers (both Landlord and Tenant)
  • Name Change
  • Small Claims
  • Actions involving the Department of Child Support Services
  • Step-Parent Adoption (uncontested only)

Assistance Available By SHARP (Self-Help Assistance and Referral Program):

Click on the link below to visit SHARP.



One-on-one prescheduled appointments are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Same day appointments are available on Mondays and Wednesdays. You may call or come in to schedule an appointment.

Self-Help Center Workshops:

Trial Preparation for Self-Represented Litigants: Every Thursday from 1-2pm the Self Help Center offers a workshop on Trial Preparation for Self-Represented Litigants via Zoom. Please call 707-994-4612 to reserve your spot or email

Completed Paperwork Review: Every Thursday from 8-9am our staff is available to review completed paperwork in our office inside the Clearlake Courthouse on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Reference and Educational Materials:

Checklists for completing and filing court forms, self-help forms, self-help books, computer access to legal forms and programs, local attorney lists, and reference lists for community resources and organizations.

Start Your Paperwork At Home

LawHelp Interactive is a web platform administered by the nonprofit organization, Pro Bono Net, that helps self-represented litigants fill out their paperwork. We strongly recommend making an account and having your paperwork reviewed by the Self-Help Center before filing. Every Thursday from 8-9am is reserved for completed paperwork review at our office in Clearlake. You may also email the papers to

Self-Help Restraining Orders:

If you are in danger right now, dial 911

A Restraining Order (R.O) can protect you from physical, emotional or financial abuse, and property destruction. There are different kinds of restraining orders available through the court system, and each order has different eligibility requirements.

You can use the links in the Start Your Paperwork At Home section above for an online Question & Answer session that will help you fill out the legal forms required for a Restraining Order in Lake County. Before you get started with the program, you will be asked to register an account so that your work doesn't get deleted before you've finished filling out the forms.

For more information on how to get help in-person or on the phone please call 707-994-4612. The help and the forms are free.

Domestic Violence Restraining Order

You can ask for a domestic violence restraining order if:

  • Someone has abused you, and
  • You have a close relationship with that person (married or registered domestic partners, divorced, separated, dating or used to date, have a child together), or you are closely related (parent, child, brother, sister, grandmother, grandfather, in-law)
  • Find more information about domestic violence
Elder or Dependent Adult Abuse Restraining Order

You can ask for an elder or dependent adult abuse restraining order if:

  • You are 65 or older, OR
  • You are between 18 and 64 and have certain mental or physical disabilities that keep you from being able to do normal activities or protect yourself;

You are a victim of:

  • Physical or financial abuse
  • Neglect or abandonment
  • Treatment that has physically or mentally hurt you, or
  • Deprivation by a caregiver of basic things or services you need so you will not suffer physically, mentally or emotionally
  • Find more information about Elder and Dependent Abuse.


Civil Harassment Restraining Order

You can ask for a civil harassment restraining order if you are being harassed, stalked, abused or threatened by someone who is like a roommate, a neighbor, or more distant family members like cousins, aunts or uncles, or nieces or nephews.
Find more information about Civil Harassment.

Other Resources

Was this helpful?